What happened on the day we refer to as Holy Thursday?
An amazing amount of stuff! This was one of the most pivotal days in the life of Jesus Christ. It is a day that Catholics claim many things related to their religion - but the one thing you can be sure of - The God of Holiness in the person of Jesus Christ - was among men!
Here are some of the things the gospels record for this day (including events that happened after midnight). Jesus:
- Sent Peter and John to arrange for them to use the Upper Room to hold the Passover meal - The Last Supper.
- Washed the apostles' feet - Jesus teaches about serving others.
- Announced that Judas would betray him - we like Judas have all betrayed our Lord.
- Gave the "new commandment" to love one another.
- Announced that Peter would deny him.
- Jesus prayed for the unity of his followers.
- Held all the discourses recorded across five chapters of John (John 13-18).
- Went to the Mount of Olives and Prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane.
- Was betrayed by Judas.
- Healed the ear of Malchus, the high priest's servant, after Peter cut it off with a sword.
- Was taken before the high priests Annas and Caiaphas.
- Was denied by Peter.
- Was taken to Pilate.
For Catholics .. HOLY THURSDAY is the most complex and profound of all religious observances, with the exception of only the Easter Vigil. It celebrates both the institution by Christ himself of the Eucharist - "do this in rememberance of me" .. for in this, His last supper with the disciples, a celebration of Passover, Jesus is the "self-offered" Passover Victim ( The Lamb of God ) .. and Catholics believe that because of this every ordained priest to this day presents this same sacrifice, by Christ's authority and command, in exactly the same way. - DO YOU?
17 After Jesus took the cup, he gave thanks. He said, “Take this cup and share it among yourselves. 18 I tell you, I will not drink wine with you again until God’s kingdom comes.” 19 Then Jesus took bread. He gave thanks and broke it. He handed it to them and said, “This is my body. It is given for you. Every time you eat it, do it in memory of me.”
The Last Supper is not a "catholic thing" .. it is not some "exclusive Catholic Church event" .. it was Jesus Christ's farewell to His assembled disciples, some of whom would betray, desert or deny Him before the sun rose again .. and a message to all of us today!
Take time and read for yourself - http://tinyurl.com/kaeoqu6